Startup in Safe Mode
The Windows Administrator account is accessible from Safe Mode. Any user account can be reset from the Windows Administrator account. Use the following steps to access Safe Mode and reset the user account with the missing password.
1. Hold the Power Button in for 5 seconds to turn off the computer.
2. Wait 5 seconds and press the Power Button again to start the computer.
3. Press F8 after the HP or Compaq logo screen, but before the Windows logo screen is displayed.
4. Select Safe Mode from the Windows Advanced Options Menu.
5. Select the Administrator account.
6. Select Control Panel from the Start Menu.
7. Select User Accounts .
8. Select the User's name that you wish to reset the password for.
9. Select Change Password and follow the on-screen instructions.
NOTE: If Administrator is not listed as one of the options, type Administrator into username: of the login screen.
NOTE: HP does not create an Administrator password by default. If the Administrator password was created, it will need to be entered to login as Administrator. If the Administrator password is lost or forgotten, see the Windows Administrator options below.
If there is more than one Windows user enabled on the PC, their login can be used to reset the login with the missing password. Use the following steps to reset the password.
NOTE: This option can only be used if the other user account is enabled as an "administrator" account......