Search Our Articles and Products

Go Back   Computer Care Center Tech Forum > Laptops /Notebooks Repair > DELL laptops Repair
User Name
Password
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
PC Fanatic

Default Howto: Recondition your laptop battery yourself

Many people have laptops with batteries that are less than ideal. Over time, batteries lose charge, meaning you get a lower battery run time.
You could of course just go and buy a new battery - which is going to work out very expensive.

Your other option is to rebuild the battery yourself. Sounds complicated?
Not as difficult as you'd imagine!
Believe it or not, most modern laptop batteries are not one large cell. They actually use a bunch AA size batteries (although they are mostly 3.6v as opposed to 1.2v).

For example, an iBook battery uses 8 of these batteries (at 700mAH). Places such as http://www.eurobatteries.com (for Europe).
They also do 1650mAH ones. Which will extend your battery life by just over 2 times as well

The biggest issue comes with soldering the wires onto the batteries - too much heat will not only destroy the battery, it can cause it to explode. So, ideally, get batteries with tags on them, or failing that, sand the terminals and very quickly solder the wire on. By quickly, I mean no more than 2 seconds...
When you carefully prise open the casing of the battery (it should unclip from inside), you will find eight cells, and a small circuit board. Take note of how they are wired up. Carefully disassemble the batteries and solder new ones in. Re-assemble the casing, and you should have a nice new long life battery!

Total cost of a new standard Apple battery is about £80 here.
8 cells cost about the same, and extended the battery life of my test machine from 40 minutes to....
8 hours

After searching the web, I have found that most Sony, Toshiba, Dell, etc etc batteries are similar, so, this should work the same for them all.

Obviously, the normal caveats apply:
Winforums, me, or anyone else accept any responsibilty for damage to yourself or equipment by doing this.
Obviously, it's better to try it with a battery that is dead, so, if it goes wrong, you have nothing to lose...
Article Source: winforums.com
Old Advertise
Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up

thhanks for sharing. nice post
Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Send a message via ICQ to FreekingDelphina Send a message via MSN to FreekingDelphina Send a message via Skype to FreekingDelphina
Default DELL laptops Repair Howto Recondition your laptop battery yourself

Im about to order one.

2ghz - 1680x1050 screen, 9 cell battery in red - 800 inc VAT. Just swithering whether its worth it or not.

I have a vostro 1500 just now, but i cant play wow at full detail 1440x900, does anyone know how much better the 8600 ddr3 is over the 8600 ddr2 in my vostro?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Rookie

That specific battery cannot supply 4A. It will overheat and might explode if a 4A load is connected.
It is rated for a continuous discharge current of 1A max.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Yeah... although I hardly ever without an AC plug in sight, my powerhouse vaio loses power in less than 10mins if it goes without its precious ac adapter... Definetly time to fix it.. lol thanks

Last edited by bigfoot : 05-22-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Junior Apprentice

Joboshare iPod Rip for Mac is amazing handy iPod transfer, iPod rip software which can fast rip, copy and transfer your music, movie, photo, ePub, pdf, audiobook, voice memo, Camera Roll(iOS 4 above), Podcast and TV Show from iPod to Mac. Create unique iPhone ringtones on Mac with Joboshare iPhone Ringtone Maker software. Joboshare iPhone SMS Transfer for Mac, released newly for growing iPhone users, is a powerful and simple to use iPhone SMS to Mac transfer tool. In case your iPhone contact library is lost or damaged, you should firstly have to find out a best program for iPhone contact backup on Mac. Here Joboshare iPhone Contact Transfer for Mac can offer a best solution.

Joboshare iPhone Call List Transfer for Mac
Joboshare iPhone iBooks Transfer for Mac
Joboshare iPhone Photo Transfer for Mac
Joboshare DVD to iPod Converter for Mac
Joboshare DVD to iPhone Converter for Mac
Joboshare DVD to iPad Converter for Mac
Joboshare DVD Copy for Mac
Joboshare DVD Creator for Mac
Joboshare FLV Converter for Mac
Joboshare iPod Mate for Mac
Joboshare iPhone Mate for Mac
Joboshare iPad Mate for Mac